Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Indian Summer, with a vengence




You know, this past summer was one of the most beautiful in years and it never was too hot or humid for too long. But this past week has been swampy and yesterday was 88 degrees and sticky, a record in Central Park and also at Yankee Stadium, where the Cleveland Indians advanced to the ALCS, to which I have no attachment as I was raised National League.
Many in NY are downcast, but I am gleeful. The Yankees loss takes the sting out of the Mets losing too. And the Cubs and the Phillies. Uncharitable and mean-spirited? But yes. And, I was both stunned and steamed that there was absolutely no baseball on TV this weekend, it was only on TBS cable. Rat bastards! I will root for a Rockie or a Diamondback altho' it's strange to me - Arizona is too hot for play baseball and in Colorado the air is too thin. But, at least I can enjoy the post-season without an emotional attachment. Possibly.
Today, the temp has dropped 30 degrees. This weather gives me a headache and fall is generally making Caramel nutsy from too much wildlife activity. Today,when we got back from the park she was crazed from too many thwarted squirrel-catching attempts. We were finishing our book (TC Boyle: Drop City) on the porch and I forgot to put the gate up. Along comes a long-haired female dog, (Caramel does not like females) and she flew off the porch afttrying to bite her fur. The girl walking the dog freaked and started yelling and I had to scream over her to make Carrie stop. Thankfully, she only bites fur not flesh and she always responds to "stop". The doggie was OK but it took an hour for my heart to beat normally and my throat is raw from yelling.
The rain they have been predicting for a week has yet to arrive- I feel like I'm in a state of flux but I will solder, er, soldier on.
I read that the Oxford English Dictionary (the small, 2-volume version) is eliminating 16,000 hyphenated words. Another sign of the apocalypse. I am quite fond of the hyphen and will mourn, as I did for Planet Pluto, it's loss.
But, I will not be party to such-like and will continue to use the hyphen as profusely and incorrectly as I have always done.
Some usage will be retained so we can tell the difference between a slippery-eel salesman and slippery eel salesman. Snake-oil hawker and snake oil hawker.
Which reminds me of the disappointing Democrats who, not wanting to appear "soft on terror" may approve extending wiretap powers to the NSA.
Soft on terror? What an idiotic phrase, what the hell does that even mean? Now I am disgusted with both the administration and them.
But now that the globe is warming and summers are longer, my tomatoes are just now ripening, (and I will have 100 of them- but all at once) we have zillions of mosquitoes, and my plants are really thriving. The top pix are the front porch, these are the backyard.
What do you thin
k?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Positively beauteous,,,your flowers and plants!
One of my colleagues was giving out some information on a call and the person didn't know what a HYPHEN was. I told her she should have told the person that it's what breaks the first time a girl has sex.
Your-friend

Bebe said...

Can it be said that she was bifurcated?