Monday, October 01, 2007

Cleveland Rocks













Our 'puter has not been well lately but Steve has worked out the kinks in my laptop so I finally bestirred myself to download ( by popular demand!) some pix of our trip to The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, a very cool little city itself.
The building, by I.M.Pei, is right on Lake Erie. It's surrounded by rings of these giant individually painted guitars. There were some great exhibits in the museum, artifacts like suits from The Temptations, the Miracles and James Brown, dresses from the girl groups from the Shirelles to the Supremes, etc. There were wonderful audio-phones to sample music styles from different eras, but not nearly enough phones. I was thrilled to find Symphony Sid, a NYC radio DJ who played Latin music in the 60's. Proper respect was shown to the originators of R&R and the early years but I was stunned by the omissions and a little disappointed in the commercial and political aspects of the place. Almost an entire floor is a gift shop and record store. Do they call them record stores anymore? Do they even have them? Anyway, this one had no Warren Zevon, a particular fave of mine and an important rocker for many years. When I questioned an employee I was told there are many other people missing ( he cited Chicago and the Moody Blues) that warrant inclusion but aren't in because it's a very political process one based on profit more than art. I questioned several employees and got the same answer every time-it was a bummer, man. The Baseball hall of Fame is more inspiring and egalitarian, that's for sure. I can't really speak of baseball at this time, I am presently in mourning for the death of the Mets' post-season. But we had a wonderful time anyway- we took the Rapid which is like a cute tiny subway, to Tower City, a huge restored railroad station that's now a very grand mall.
I'll post more later but right now, Dancing with the Stars is on and I've got to go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot diggity dog! She's ba-a-a-ck! Love those guitars although I'd hate to be staring at that enormous eyeball while strumming away. (I started guitar lessons 3 wks. ago, by the by) Thought that building looked like the addition to the Louvre and, sure enough....that I.M. Pei sure gets around don't he?
Welcome back.
Flexitarian, City of angles

Granny said...

Sorry both you and your computer have been unwell.

I'm glad you're back.

HEATHER said...

Looks like you had a great time. Hope you didn't wear yourself down too much.
Take care!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Sweetie....Your gardens are fabulous!!An oasis in the heart of Brooklyn. How do you always get all those plants to bloom all the time? You old green-thumb, YOU!!!! I love you to pieces and am so glad to finally get to read your blog again. The Witch of the West