Monday, April 09, 2007

We are not amused

I am daily enraged by the many injustices I read about in the newspaper but this story leaves me speechless.
In response to complaints from adjoining residents, an amusement park outside Sacramento CA has decreed that screaming, yelling and laughing will no longer be allowed on rides. If anyone makes too much noise the ride will be stopped and the offenders will be ejected.
The obvious questions arise:
Why live near an amusement park in the first place?
How will they determine which ride participant does the screaming?
And most importantly,
Isn't it dangerous? Won't their little heads explode if they don't scream?


My dear (much older) brother thoughtfully
sent this cartoon from The New Yorker
in tribute to my age and my never-ending
quest for clarity and succor from the medical profession, who I fear, loathe and distrust.
So far this year, I've been to an internist, rheumatologist, pulmonologist, sleep doctor, opthamologist, and gastroenterologist.
This is in addition to "regular" check-ups.
Despite all the stress, strain and fatigue involved with doctor's visits (a total of 12 hours this week alone), being poked and prodded and sent for innumerable tests, scans and x-rays, none of these esteemed medical professionals seem to agree about any one aspect of my illness or treatment. They are each very quick and happy to contradict and even ridicule one another's diagnoses. I might have illness X. Or not. This diagnosis is definite. Or inconclusive. Or patently ridiculous. I'm taking too many meds. I need to take more meds.
My GP
(who was the one who finally dx'd the fibro) refuses to even consider a DX of Sjogren's without a lip biopsy (uh, no). He told me to get a second rheumy opinion. The first rheumy I went to told me I had lupus (I did not) and the fibro would go away (ha). I tend to trust my current rheumy a little more because she has fibro herself. The GP insists I have migraines and need injectable meds. I think not. Does one get migraines in the teeth and jaw? Presently I have a sinus infection and my face hurts so badly that I asked for Tylenol#3 which I hate to take. I am taking antibiotics and will dutifully see the dentist and endodontist this week. The fun never quits.
During an gasto endoscopy this week, I learned that my esophagus is twisted,
This was interesting as the last colonoscopy I had revealed that I have a twisted colon. The last root canal I had showed that I have twisted tooth root canals.
Admittedly, I've always been slightly twisted, but what the hell? It's like I've been cursed by Chubby Checker!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is funny that Doctors are just like Contractors, blaming shoddy workmanship and mistakes on someone else. It is usually the Doctors, Bankers and Lawyers that are Twisted.
Hang in there baby!

HEATHER said...

Honey, I don't mean to offend or be "fibronoxious", but the jaw and teeth pain sounds like TMJ syndrome, or sometimes I get that pain with the sinus infections. Facial pain is absolutely the worst. I am battling a sinus infection this week, too, so I know what you are going through. Give Miss Carm a chin-scratch from me! She's such a cutie!

Bebe said...

Not at all Chicklette, I appreciate your practical experience!
Steve and I have a little vaudeville act going on: Whenever I say my face hurts, he says, it's killing me!
Dumb, yet still funny after all theses years!

Anonymous said...

My Twisted Sister...SO....Did you think you were "normal" in any way??You are very brave. I have cancelled twice a planned colonoscapy from two differant doctors, both the nite before the test. I just can't seem to do it!!!ICK!!!!!!!