Thursday, April 05, 2007

It was Vladislav not Vladimir

who was the tech at my sleep study last night. He was much more informative than Vladimir, my first study tech. I found out, among other things, that the nickname for Vladislav is Vlad, but Vladimir is called Dimi.
Go know.
Unlike my first study which I actually slept through, I woke about 3:00AM with god-awful terrible pain in my right eye, teeth and face and neck. There was a huge weather change here, from temps in the 70's to the 30's; added to that, I think I have a sinus infection and I must be having a Sjorgren's flare. My mouth and tongue are swollen and painful.The electro-probes, the tape and the mask on my head didn't help either. Vlad was very concerned and asked about the cause of the pain. I told him about the Fibromyalgia, which he was familiar with and Sjogren's, which he was not. He suggested I take tramadol, a pain pill I had sometimes take. While we waited to see if I'd go back to sleep, he looked it up. He not only researched it, he called 2 colleagues at NYU and Stony Brook.
He knows more about Sjogren's than many of my regular doctors. I was stunned! (I asked how he got into the sleep game and he said he was a clinical psychologist in Russia and got involved with sleep research.)
Well, after much tossing and turning, I went home at 4:30 AM but not before I caught sight of myself in the mirror.With all the wires, straps and connections, I was quite Borg-like.
Vlad said that with the CPAP, I did not stop breathing- a big plus. I did OK breathing through my mouth only. In a week or so, I will get a CPAP machine from the the sleep company. I will try the nasal pillows instead of the face mask and hope for the best.
When I got home, I thought I'd give Steve some extra sleep so I walked the dog who had already peed in the kitchen in apparent protest to my not being home overnight. Grrrr.
So today I've visited with my Russian doctor, our Dominican cleaning lady (Rosie-who calls me Mami) the Anglo tech who came to replace Steve's CPAP and our Pakistani roofer. A multitude of accents! It's been a long and busy day.
The roofer was a lovely, if chatty man but he was terrified of Caramel. I put her in the guestroom with the door closed while he did the estimate and she peed again! She has serious separation anxiety issues.
On the public radio show I listen to, they have been playing Bruce Springsteen all day. It has been comforting and way enjoyable and just now, as Rosie left, they are playing his "Rosalita( jump a little lighter!)". How cosmicall coincidental!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.