Monday, April 16, 2007

#42, Jackie Robinson

Yesterday was the 60th anniversary of breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball. Many MLB baseball teams wore uniforms with the number 42 to commemorate the event. (Except on the Mets where the honor was granted to Mgr.Willie Randolph alone.) It was momenteous and opened many locked doors. As a little Bebe growing up, Jackie was a god in our house. I still remember the way my Father's face would light up when he spoke of him. Since we had four Jackies in our family, I naturally assumed that Jackie Robinson was kind of related. I mean, he was from Brooklyn! When I grew older I couldn't reconcile the fact that he was an officer in WWII, but was confronted by death threats for playing baseball. He was a gifted, accomplished, classy, dignified guy who made history as a person, player and civil rights activist. I was always very proud that it happened in Brooklyn. That was way back in the days when the term "role model" meant something positive and skill, not salary was celebrated. Who do kids idolize these days? Ai stupido, American Idol, I forgot. (Apparently a lot of kids are a not even playing baseball anymore. I read a recent article citing a steady decrease in the number of black players. I've been wondering if it has anything to do with urban centers where pick-up b-ball and football games are easier to find.)
I am truly not understanding the present cult of celebrity or why, 60 years down the road, it's a still funny and even okay to be racist,
sexist and homophobic in the media or anywhere else. And mean, why is everyone so fucking mean- on TV and radio, in ads, in blogs? Whattha?
In the case of Imus and his "nappy ho" remark, he said it because really thought it would be okay. It's like, did you ever have a conversation with someone who made a casual racist or sexist remark while assuming that you were a bigot too? It's like that. Personally, I don't care if the jerk stays or goes, I don't do talk radio. Ads it's not about free speech. I just don't think anyone has the right to be a racist, sexist homophobe. And then be paid for it? We need to have a little more respect for Jackie's legacy.

No comments: