Friday, March 02, 2007

Thursdays in the Park with Sheila

On Wednesday, the gorgeous and sunny day, Caramel and I walked to the Park unaware of the danger lurking within. It pains me greatly to say, but I must report our first Bad-Dog incident. The lake is still frozen but there was a deep water-filled sinkhole by the path where some water birds were bathing. As we came around the bend Caramel saw 2 swans a-swimming and off she went in pursuit. I was caught totally unaware as she yanked the leash from my hand. She did not stop when I yelled "stop" which she normally does. Into the water and across the bridle path (3 feet deep with mud from the melting snow) she chased the swans until hissing and screaming, they flew away (thankfully!). We were both soaked and covered in mud. My throat hurt from yelling. I had to wash both her and her filthy pink jacket. Bad dog! She was appropriately contrite but I need to be more vigilant with her in the park re: Cats, squirrels and swans. Luckily it was a victim-less incident, unlike the unfortunate accident that transpired yesterday. My dear, innocent friend Sheila and I have a weekly date. We walk the dog, have lunch and generally fotz around.
We were walking on the transverse when a woman came towards us giving Caramel the bad eye. Because I am a considerate dog owner and realize that not everyone loves dogs, I pull her leash in short around questionable persons.(Her leash is an extendable 16" Flexi which rolls up into a hard plastic case that is also the handle.) As I pulled up on the handle to draw the leash in, I clocked poor Sheila on the mouth. She started bleeding and swelled up immediately. Luckily her teeth weren't hurt. She is OK but it scared the hell out of me.
Later she said: I don't know what I said but just don't hit me again!
We are all going out to dinner tonight to celebrate her 62nd birthday.
I will try to show some restraint.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am finally back on this thing. Can I have the mandelbrot recipe? Did you do the sleep test? I would never be able to sleep under those conditions. I miss you so very much. This tuesday is my first day of watching the Baby Alden!I think of you every day when I take my walk.Love and Kisses the witch of the west. M