Thursday, August 10, 2006

A sink accompli!

It's in! The sink was installed, ironically on the 10th anniversary of our moving into our ( 1st) house. I've never been so happy washing dishes which is good cause every dish we own now needs washing. The floor is being installed on Friday and Jerry returns on Sat for touch-ups which will be a lovely birthday present. I go now to put a bagel in the the new toaster oven I bought yesterday( I discovered that a micro-waved bagel is inedible) then I go to my newly-installed old washer to do laundry for the first time since May so I can procrastinate before I tackle the daunting task of putting everything away in the new cabinets. More decisions! But I found the pots and tonight I believe I will boil some pasta. Oh joy, rapture! At my age, it's truly the little things that bring the most pleasure.
As for falling off the news-reading wagon, I am a repeat offender. I am pleased and astonished by Lieberman's defeat in the Conn senate race and by the fact that a lot of the Dem party supports an anti-war stance. This is a very good sign and could be a the building blocks for a credible and viable Dem threat to the Bushies, or Shrubies as some of my pals like to say.
And since our visit to Israel last year I have become increasingly involved in their politics and now I can't stop. I have come to understand that it's not a matter of right or left, hawk or dove- in Israel it's about survival. No one wants war, but everyone is always prepared for it. Their geography, religion and politics don't jibe with the rest of the region but they have never imposed their values on others, coveted land or declared that others have no right to exist.
They just want to continue to do the improbable task of turning a desert into a viable and successful entity. To think of what might have been accomplished if the Israelis and a Palestian state were able to work together.
Maybe diplomacy is not the answer, maybe they just need a good contractor?

"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to lkill their children. We will only have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us" Golda Meir










 

No comments: