Thursday, June 01, 2006

One love, one heart

Today is our 20th wedding anniversary! We honeymooned in Jamaica, where reggae plays constantly and "One Love" became our leitmotif and theme. ( Our alternate "our" song is Ray's "Georgia", because we heard it constantly during our courtship) We will celebrate just as we did for our 10th anniversary when we bought the house: a romantic dinner and then trips to Lowes and Home Depot to look at doors, light fixtures and tile. And of course, plants. The really big celebration will be going to see Xmen3 tomorrow, before the kids get out of school. Yes bloggies, we are livin' LARGE! We may even stop for ice cream!
My dog-bite hand is quite healed if not a bit mangled. I don't care. After breaking my wrist last year and spending the entire night in the ER, I could not bring myself to go there again. Besides, even tho I'm diseased, I heal very well and pretty quickly.
Our reno is moving along expeditiously but every conversation with Jerry gives me butterflies; he is quite the the voice of doomfor such a happy guy. We trust him tho and he shows up every day!
A neighbor is thinking of doing some brickwork so I recommended our mason Vito, an old-world Italian. I went over to introduce them and actually had to translate English through Vito's heavy accent. It was so funny! After, Vito asked if my family was from here or Italy. I explained that my parents were from Eastern Europe and I was Jewish. He replied, Jews, Italians, they the same!
In NYC, this is true - it's all about food, family and guilt. Jews and Catholics always lived together, probably cause they were all marginalized. I didn't understand about Protestants, and their majority in this country until JFK was nominated as the "first Catholic president" in 1960 and a huge uproar followed.
Have we come a long way, baby?
I still don't like the plumber (he yells at the crew) but a waste pipe was installed in the place where the new 1/2 bath will be on the 1st floor and I am beside myself with joy. I amuse the workers daily.
Sheila and I went for a pedicure, only my second one. I'm not fond of having things done to me, hair and such; it feels like a medical procedure, but pedicures are wonderful! I had a better massage there than I did at physical therapy. And I wind up with lovely piggies, well, lovely for me. My father's side of the family all had nasty, bent hammer toes which identifies us as a family much as the Hapsburg lip did. Also, we have a touch a madness, which may not be such a bad thing in this day and age.
Oh jeez, Jerry & Co are taking down another wall, I've got to get out of here.
Love and romance to you all!!!

My brother says:
A short period of constuction leads to a long and happy use of Kitchen.

Amen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 50th Anniversarry Splinks!
Time flies when you're having fun.
Time flies and waits for no one.
Time, time, time.
Ah! I guess i'm a little touched tooooo

Granny said...

A little late but Happy Anniversary.