Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Bast be Blast, no cat for us.

Rats! The person that was fostering the kitty sent us an email last night, Shanti has been adopted. I wish she would have let us know sooner so I wouldn't have gone totally nutso.We even picked out a name! I purposely didn't post her photo cause I didn't want to jinx it. We will go to the shelter in person next time, no more mooning over a monitor and falling in love with pixels.
Sorry Catherine, about the photo. BTW, I tried and failed to leave a comment on your blog (Approximating A Life - check her out ) re:blogging against sexism day.

My comment was incredibly clever and biting but lost it was. I shall not attempt to recreate it here. I'm tired and frought with disappointment.
Instead, I will rip off Bob Marley who had a very strong early influence on me. I also post these pix that my cousin just Jack sent of he, me and Bubba , our respective maternal grandmother. It was Mother's Day 1957, he was 13 (?) I was 7 3/4.
Before WWI My grandfather and his brothers left for America. Bubba raised 3 daughters and 2 nieces in a shtetl in Poland. Alone. She was an unbelievable force of nature. She did not read or write. She did not teach me feminism.(She stuffed me full of food and taught her daughter to do the same-see photo) But she taught me strength, sisters and that is the most important legacy for a woman.

"Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights,
get up, stand up, don't give up the fight"










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so sorry about kitty. It's amazing how fast they can wriggle their way into our hearts. I can fall half in love with a dog on the street after a nanosecond of petting his sweet head.

You couldn't leave a comment on my blog because I only let people who are registered for livejournal comment. This is because internet stalkers are scary, and I know from personal experience. Also because people left weirdo anonymous comments on my blog before I made it LJ-only. Your darling Sarah registered for livejournal so she could comment on my and our friend Nick's blogs. I would be thrilled if you chose to do that but don't at all expect it. :) Up to you.

Now, on to your awesome post: I love your story about Bubba. One of the things I find so irritating about feminism is that it seems to STILL want to tell women how to live their lives - just in the opposite direction. I guess that's what I was trying to express in my blog entry. And that's what Bubba taught you..."But she taught me strength, sisters and that is the most important legacy for a woman." That's so right. Strength to make OUR OWN choices, and strength to have enough belief in our own choices not to belittle other women for theirs. Having the courage of my convictions means learning how to live and let live. I am very bad at this, but I am learning. Thanks for your thoughts.

Granny said...

Re Catherine's comment - the choir says amen.

Sorry you didn't get the kitty you wanted.

Anonymous said...

You may have had some extra poids from Bubba & Mom stuffing you, but you had those pretty ballet legs even then.
Observing reader, City of angles