Friday, February 17, 2006

Twisted canals, crazy weather

Dear children, I know you have all been waiting on tenterhooks (perhaps in empathy,) for the story of my root canal yesterday. A grimmer tale you will be hardpressed to hear! First, I have a huge abcess ("how rude to put it that way, I said") and I may lose the tooth, dear sweet #18, a molar, one of a set of four of which I've grown quite fond lo these many years and am loathe to part with.
Additionally, there is another trouble-maker lurking in my Eastern jaw (head to toe is north to south, ear to ear is east to west, no?) a tooth, #2 I believe which may or not be cracked but was found to have a "pocket", an apparent harbinger of doom, destruction and/or removal. The combination of this news and the 12,000 shots I received rendered me shaken and stirred and clutching at the dental assistant for sympathy (they are all very wonderful there). Too late I realized I forgot to ask for gas! Realizing I had at least an hour more ahead of me, I requested it and was told there was a fee which turned out to be 90 bucks but as Steve said, worth every penny. My anxiety level is in direct proportion to time spent in the chair, but can further reduced by watching the ordeal on CC TV. I've seen it so often, I could probably do it myself. So, there are 3 roots in #18, all badly twisted. Of course! The root worked on yesterday yielded an ancient copper filling which turns out to be toxic as well as an agent for infection. Could it be ever thus? I've got at least 2 more visits. So it googled Root canal today and boy was I ever sorry; way too much information. It seems that either I lose my teeth or suffer from the root canals themselves even tho today they no longer use toxic metals.
In my nitrous-induced state, I got hung up on canals and Mars and Ray Bradbury, so it was very weird when the dentist said my roots were red, like the Martian canals,from the copper. And why is it orthodontist and endodontist but not dontist?

Our cat visitors are gone, we are bereft and I have this sudden awarness of being alone, which does not usually faze me. But logically, we should wait for new pets till the kitchen is redone. (Older peeps are more logical and practical because they don't really need to give a crap)
Thanks, Catherine for the tip, Bichons are on our list. You sent me on a web trip to pet sites that drove me crazy but abide I shall and anon, it will rain cats and dogs. As of late, I have been accosting people on the street to grill them about their dogs. This is aberrant behavior as it is my usual custom to accost the dogs while snubbing the owner.

Last Sunday we had 2 feet of snow, but it's been gorgeous and in the 50's all week. Today is 60 degrees, Sat nite we expect a high of 15.
(No global warming, Tex? Just insane weather, record icemelts in northern glaciers and warming oceans. Don't worry, soon you will have an oceanfront home.)
My bro came up on Wed and I took him for a Thai lunch (for Valentines Day, cause I love him ) and we went to the Bklyn Botanical Garden.This is the Japanese Garden, if you look closely, you can see that I'm yet again on thin ice. It was gorgeous and we had a fun day. It was a long time since we spent some quality, fun, nothing-serious-to-take-care-of time together. It was metzuyon! (excellent in Hebrew, tho it sounds like Japanese) He took Steve and I to an italian dinner, Joe and Marion came to pick up the kitties, so they came with us. Twas brillig!

A friend in Israel forwarded an unbelievably racist letter printed in a Spanish newspaper decrying the Inquisition and the Holocaust but pointing the finger of blame in the wrong direction. The scariest thing about the whole fucked-up world situation is, its becoming a "them or us" thing, Islamists and everyone else.
It's so not about that.

Honey is home early for the holiday weekend and I must jet, but remember to keep all those dead presidents in your heart! The Constitution meant something back then.




4 comments:

Granny said...

It's been a while since I've been here and just dropping in to say hi.

I grew up in central New York but never got to the City. I keep saying one of these days maybe.

Ann (aka granny) - isamericaburning

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to comment on the pics. Love you in the botanical garden. And kudos to your photographer; so well framed and also noting that you are almost skating on thin ice, missy.
On Feb 14th Fla. pics: Shelley looks happy, I'd know Camille's smile anywhere. But Ruthie, oh Ruthie, continues to be the ageless one in our group! How DOES she do it? I guess it's the genes eh?
Vieja amiga, City of angles

Anonymous said...

Once again, may I say how much I thoroughly enjoy your blog? You have the one thing I value most in a blogger - a finely-honed, subtle, and fabulously dry sense of humor.

Sorry about the dentist. My mother's teeth are slowly crumbling out of her head, and she refuses to get dentures before she absolutely has to, which means she is going to pay thousands of dollars to save teeth that are going to get yanked soon anyway. But she feels very strongly about having her own teeth. I had a root canal years ago because I got kicked in the mouth in a mosh pit. I know "root canal" is the generic example for "worst pain ever" but it wasn't really that bad in my experience, and I didn't have the gas, just Novacaine.

"Dontist" made me snort out loud.

"This is aberrant behavior as it is my usual custom to accost the dogs while snubbing the owner." God, I do the same thing! In fact, there are times when I pet a dog for several minutes and have no idea what the owner looked like when I walk away - because I never looked at him. Why look at a boring old human when there is a furbaby to love?

JBlue said...

You're so witty. I was cringing and laughing (hates the dentist/dontist).