Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I - ay can't go for that , no can do

School vouchers?
I don't know where you live, but in NYC the annual tuition for each public elementary school kid is about $20K. Taxpayers should pay more because the schools suck? What about a lower-cost option:
reducing class size (!!!!!!),
improving teachers and paying them more (damn, they don't push paper, they mold living beings!),
and realistic standards (contrary to Bush belief, there is no standard child) that teach kids to use their brains so they can learn and reason instead of memorizing tests.
I have seen such waste in City and Federal programs, it's shameful.
Change "no wild plan left behind" and do your homework!

The Fed-approved secret deal that will allow to Dubai run entry ports in the NYC area?
Astoundingly stupid! And guess what? I live 5 minutes away from one!
Even our Gov protested weakly; they are not yet releasing him from the hospital following appendix surgery because......, he's too full of crap, literally as well as figuratively.

Donald Rumsfeld
We were TV surfing the other night and happened on Charlie Rose interviewing someone whose back was to the camera but whoses hands were twisting and quivering like those of the Weird Sisters in MacBeth. It's Rumsfeld, says I. How knowest thee?, says Stinx. I felt the evil, says I, even over the airways.

Dick Button
I swear I would love to smack that man. Button him up and send him on his way! It's bad enough that the skaters can't keep up with themselves, the costumes are ridiculous, the music grating (lose the singing!) - the announcers talk too much and are nasty, negative, opinionated and shut up the both of you!
Actually, watching most TV is much better done with the sound off.

National Archives
Removing historical documents ( some of them previously seen and copied) in the name of secrecy and security? Barring the door after the horse has bolted, what? And for what?

Death from cartoons? Incredibly unstable governments, famine, drought, plague. World-wide threats from hurricanes, mining accidents, bird flu, mudslides, war.
Do we need to get our priorities straight?

2,270 American service members have died since the start of the "Iraqi war". My unscientific tally averages 2 deaths a day, by the NY Times,

Crystal meth
It's so late 60's! Why did we not learn it is much, much worse than heroin and yet still so much easy to get?

(These last questions are obviously rhetorical, she coyly reveals, yes, yes and zillions in drug lobbying)

Arresting "Arrested Development"
We taped the marathon finale of the show and I thought I'd split my sides!
Was it too naughty, too sharp, too out there? For many, wonderfuly so.
I will miss the Bluths, they were worth the releasing of the mute button.

Westminster Dog Show
It's not shown on un-cable TV and we homies don't do cable.It's unfair and biased agaginst humans!

*By the way, I certainly did mean to express my desire to solicit opinions concerning the Ideal Type of Dog For Us.
All suggestions and/or warnings are most gratefully welcome.
To reinterate:
We will get a shelter dog but it must:
not shed, bark or drool
not need grooming/cuts
not need running
not roll in the catbox or other unsavory element
medium size/portable, altho we both love giant dogs, they are not practical
like kids, cats and other dogs
be black and white (optional)
Ha! this list is all about dreaming. Love and only love will determine the outcome. Meanwhile our catlessness ache has not abated, nay, it has increased.

Contractors
I'm more confused than ever about how to re-do the kitchen and must decide
on a general plan of action and also where to put the bathroom (excuse me, powder room) to maximize space.
You cannot believe how hard it is to get someone to answer your call much less come give an estimate. And the horror stories of my neighbors' contractors!
But I am motivated not only by the thought not having to climb stairs in order to pee, but also, finally getting our pets-to-be.

Eew-mails
I don't get why people who get insulting, racist, sexist or degrading emails read them. Even harder to understand is why they are forwarded to me.
Just say no.

Yesterday, 2/20, was the first anniversary of my Mother's death.
We finally gave away everything in her house that was worth giving, a very good feeling and also one of closure. Her furniture has been dispersed throughout our extended families and that would have made her very happy. Not only was it recycled, but I can visit it! Sarah's got the old mirror and chair. I have photos of me at 6 months od on the couch that my Daddy re-upholstered at least 3 times since they bought it in 1935, now it's at Jeanettes'. Me and T
ina have some of Roz'(s?) old self-rejected paintings. How cool is that? We and the boys went out to the beach on Sun - it was colder than a Greenland glacier and so windy, it made ripples in the sand but the sun was strong and it was amazing clear and crisp. How will I ever remember to bring the camera? The beach has always been a very strong, spiritual place for me and now I feel my mother very strongly there. It was a wonderful day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!
You go girl

JBlue said...

Bebe, you might consider a stuffed dog. ;)

You felt the evil. Good one.

You may know that I, a woman with two masters' degrees, am not qualified to teach in the public schools, although I've merely been teaching part-time in college successfully for 15 years, so I have returned to school for elementary certification. One thing I've learned is that elementary teachers don't get near the respect they deserve. I confess to undervaluing them in the past myself. Those folks are always on the go, doing 3 or more things at once at a very brisk pace (I worry about being able to keep up!) and are responsible for so much. Yesterday, after observing a secord grade teacher at work, I was at home before I wondered when she had even gone to the restroom! It's a good thing she's left handed because at one point I saw her grading a paper with her left hand while answering a parent email with the other. That was the only paper-pushing I saw her do. It was also the only time I saw her sitting.

Our priorities are so screwed up in this country.