Tuesday, November 29, 2005

First, a correction: The word for "turkey" in Hebrew is Hodu (Hoe-doo), not hoodoo as previously stated. (I was obviously under the effect of hoodoo at the time , and so the error.) Also, I neglected to disclose the meaning of the word.
Hodu, in Hebrew means Indian chicken and, the word for an Asian Indian is Hodi, which I find out is similar to the Turkish word for turkey.
So now I'm thinking, the plot thickens!
It's taken me lo these years to look it up, but I've always wondered why turkey is so named and finally got my lazy ass up to span the globe and this is what we found:
The original turkey was the guinea fowl, which was brought to Europe from Africa by way of Turkey. In the 16th century, the British were introduced to the American bird that is now called turkey, and they apparently felt that it resembled the guinea fowl, because they began calling the American bird a turkey.
How cool is that?
You know, there are just two kinds of people in the world, (why can't they fall in love...well you may ask, Little Anthony) those who love the bones and those who do not. I do. I am so happy when I have a turkey carcass to gnaw on!
Leaving you with that quaint image, I will recount an item from today's Times;
A shopkeeper in Wales has installed a gizmo, The Mosquito, that emits a high-pitched sound in an effort to keep rowdy teens away from his store.
The sound can only be heard by those under 20 but not over 30 and is appparently very annoying but not harmful. "It's very difficult to shoplift,"says the inventor, "when you have your fingers in your ears".
Spare the decibel, spoil the child!

Speaking of hoodoo, something is going hinky with my computer so I will end with our family recipe for the World Famous All Over Brooklyn Kugel. I have been inundated with requests (one).
I'll be around like a doughnut, BB


Noodle Pudding (Luckshen Kugel)

1 Pound medium or wide egg noodles ("no yolk" noodles have a firmer texture)

5- 6 eggs

1 Stick sweet butter

1 Pint sour cream or buttermilk or 1/2 & 1/2 of each

1 Teaspoon vanilla

1/2 Teaspoon salt

Pinch of cayenne pepper

8 - 16 oz. raisins

Topping: Crushed grapenuts (or real nuts-if your family lets you) and brown sugar .

Cook noodles al dente. Drain and return to pot. Off heat, add the butter in small bits until melted.

In a blender, whip remaining ingredients (except the raisins) till frothy, then mix into noodles and add the raisins. (You could make the egg mixture ahead and let the raisins macerate in it for 1/2 hour or so- it makes for plumper raisins). Turn into a greased 9x13 pan. Add topping and spray top with a little oil. Cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes @ 450, then reduce heat to 325 for 30 minutes till top is deep gold. Remove foil to brown.

(Or bake the thing at your turkey temperature for an hour-it will be fine.)


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not enough raisins.

Bebe said...

trouble-making ratbastard!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. Now to add confusion; what weight is a stick of butter? Is a sweet butter an unsalted butter? What are grapenuts? I always thought they were cereal. A type of museli perhaps? Hmm, go with the nut idea methinks!! I can manage to metricate (so modern in Africa!!). Thank you for a great blog. Someone who thinks like I do....okay I might be a bit mad.
Coral

Bebe said...

yes, sweet butter is unsalted, and tastier, methinks. A "stick" is 1/4 pound or 4 ounces. Sorry,I cannot metricate and am morally opposed to it.
Grape nuts is indeed a cereal, but any crunchy dealio will do.
Are you in SA? Is your summer just starting? BB

Anonymous said...

You are now in my favorites list, which means I will click on your blog every day. Congratulations! You are officially entertaining, thought-provoking, and thoroughly enjoyable. You are also in good company. Besides your blog, I have your lovely niece Sarah, her fab friend Cecily and Cec's husband Charlie, and many other lovely and talented folks. A rarified crowd.

Your useless question from Catherine for the day: why do they call it closed captioning? As opposed to open captioning? And what is that?

Julia said...

Thanks for the recipe! After reading about Sarah's raves over it I think I'll have to try to make it too. Since we don't have sticks of butter in Prague, I either use a 1/2 cup measurement for one stick, or 8 tablespoons, if that helps any, bb.

Julia said...

Oops, I meant Coral!

Anonymous said...

Where the hell is more?
(More isn't less, you know)
Don't you know it's Dec. 4th, missy?
One interested reader in the city of angles.

Bebe said...

City of angles? How Pythagorean!