Monday, December 04, 2006

We are good citizens

Since my disablement I no longer take dance class or go to the gym to work out, so the high point of my (our) day is our doggy walk. (We both need our exercise) We live near a Parkway (site of the first bicycle path in the country!) which is transversed by ramps leading to a footbridge. The ramps are closed in and Caramel can run them unleashed. One day last week, at the top of the ramp, I found a spilled-out gift bag of stuff that looked like it belonged to a teacher, hand-made greeting cards from students, audio tapes and address labels. I was horrified to think that someone lost her stuff or worse, was mugged, so I went on-line to try to find her. I couldn't find her phone number but I was surprised to find a site that listed the occupants of her building by apartment number. The name was not the same as hers but I called and left a message anyway. The return call was from her ex-husband and this is what he told me; they are divorced but on good terms, she had thrown the stuff away, apparently when she moved out, and someone went through her trash and left the stuff on the ramp. She was injured on the job as a teacher had to retire. He was so surprised and gratified that a stranger went to all that trouble to find her that he called twice to thank me. He said he was an immigrant from Pakistan and in this country for 10 years. He is the owner of a construction company and he offered to paint my house for free! Can you imagine? A good deed appreciated!
In other news, we have a forecast of snow and temps in the 20's tonight. It was 67 degrees last Fri. What the heck! Miss Carrie, southern belle, does not like it. C'est tres froid!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are indeed good citizens! What a great story. Carmelita so looks like she is into the camera --or--"the camera loves her," as people like to put it. Intense-y girl.
Appreciative reader, City of angles