Saturday, December 09, 2006

Josh & Me, circa 1994

This is the kid, er man ( now 14 ) whose Bar Mitzvah we went to last week. This was my class of "Terrific Twos", I played my guitar at circle time and everyone got a chance to strum. Josh and I fell in love the first time our eyes met and our families became intertwined. Not your usual Bar Mitzvah, his parents, Leonore and Amina are a bi-racial lesbian couple. The service was officiated by a lesbian rabbi and cantor (who sings) and the Jewish congregation itself is housed in a lovely church which shares it's space on Saturdays. It's so cool! One of Josh's Moms, as well as my friend Karen became Bat Mitvahs last year in the same synagogue. It's a very egalitarian bunch. Altho I am a godless heathen , I always enjoy the worship experience, the singing and the festive vibes. I also took the opportunity to say Yiskor, a prayer for the dead, for my Uncle Jack, it would have pleased him. There was a lovely party afterward at the Grand Prospect Hall- featured in several movies- and we danced to a waltz as well as hip hop.There was a photo-montage of Josh's life displayed, including a photo like this. I was very flattered to be included in it, altho I didn't recognize myself till I was told it was me. Oivavoi, 12 years pass so quickly! He's tall and grown-up but he still has that gorgeous Joshie face!

No comments: