Wednesday, September 13, 2006

9/13/06 Part 2

Mercy, It's been so long since I've blogged that I forgot I could post pictures.Better pix to come, I promise.
You who have endured the telling of the story deserve it!

Anywho, as I was saying, Jane L is fellow tree-hugger I used to work with at the environmental center and who I hadn't seen in over 2 years. We had a lovely time and I had chicken with walnuts for lunch.
Several weeks ago we went to New England for the quasi-annual reunion of the folks from Steve's school in Israel, many of whom now live in Mass for some unknown reason. So we all barge in from every corner of the globe. (Now what kind of globe has corners?) and congregate at Dennis and Amy's on Cape Cod. This time around lots of peeps punked out but the indomitable Susan, and Toni and Ilene, and the intrepid Julie who came all the way from Texas showed up and the 8 of us made a holy pilgrimage to Provincetown for lobster rolls, fried clams and obscenely good sundaes. Amy made waffles the next day I made this homage to the lovely queens of P-town. We are actually going back to the Cape to see Rosie and family who are in from Israel. She and her brother Mel lived on the same block as Steve in both NY and Haifa and went to the same schools in both countries. Wierd, huh? I wonder if Amy will make waffles again?
So yesterday was Election day, we voted for the nominee for NY gov - a choice of weasels, re-elected Sen Hilary and some other stuff too. We had gotten mail informing us that we were to have new-fangled voting machines and I for one was psyched, even going so far as to return home to fetch my glasses, just in case the screen was too small. Oivavoi! T'was not to be, sadly.
You know, I never got to the main reason for this entry which was the anniversary of 9/11. It was a bad, sad day altho I read no papers nor watched TV, trying to avoid thoses images again. I took Caramel for her evening walk right after sundown. As I turned the corner to come home, I caught a glimpse of the blue beacons of light coming from Ground Zero. At that moment, a last ray of light illuminated a cloud right above so that the blue beams shot up into burst of white light. It only lasted a minute but it was amazing and awesome and I mean awesome in the old-fashioned way; it gave me the shivers. And somehow I felt slightly calmed too. My neighbor saw it too and shouted out, did you see that?
It's as if we both needed confirmaton for something we saw but didn't quite believe- a process I'm becoming all too familiar with. Peace, brothers and sisters.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA! Oh happy, we, that you are back! Looks beautiful from what I can see. I can't decipher the vantage point in the picture tho. Trying to figure which way that's facing in terms of the window that goes (or went) to your back yard.
I, too, purposely did not watch the 9/ll rehashings on TV. Still carry the grief and memories of the tragedy. Don't need to see any stupid movies which are cashing in on it either.
Love to you three,
Grateful reader, City of angles

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you to have your kitchen back.Rachels shower went well with Gina stepping up to the plate and doing right by her sister.I also did not allow them to take me screaming down the bad memory lane.Love you. M

Bebe said...

Damn girl, I LOVE baseball metaphors!

Anonymous said...

I quote: "Mercy, It's been so long since I've blogged that I forgot I could post" (at all). Come on Bebe, we miss you!! Tell us more about your contractors, are they really gone now, and Carmelita, how does like the house and you all to herself?