Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Too darn hot

Twas Cole Porter (in Kiss me Kate) who wrote wittily:

According to the Kinsey report
Every average guy you know
Much prefers to play his favorite sport
When the temperature is low
But when the thermometer goes way up
And the weather is sizzling hot
Mr. Pants, for romance, is not.

I love that this was written for a woman (Bianca) to sing. Happily for us this was before A/C, “back in the day” which back in the day was referred to as the “old days” but that got old. It’s too darn hot tho, for me typing in this hot tiny room and for all my sweet construction mens. We now have Andy the heating (!) engineer working on the ducts. He is from England just in case you were keeping score.I worry about them dehydrating and am constantly nagging them to drink water. This makes me hot and dehydrated. Because of my international crew, I have been keeping abreast of World Cup matters. While we celebrate Italy’s win, we do not approve of the manner in which it was achieved, nor do we sanction Italy and France’s general demeanor on the field. Sorry, but it needed to be said.
Our car has been returned to us, looking younger than ever. We’ve been through a lot together, been a lot of places too, in the past 11 years. I’m glad not to have lost my little green machine. And they fixed the A/C! Well, that’s all the cleverness I can muster, I am being summoned either for consultation, speculation or general bitchin’ and moanin’. It’s a curious feeling spending your days with so many men around. The men need so much praise and comfort. Dios mio, I think I’ll bring them some cherries. Cerisas! I do so love me cherries. They are only good from July to August and I binge on them daily. I love my workers but I fervently hope they are gone with the cherry season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that answers the question about the car! Thank the Goddess you got it back so swiftly. I love you!Kiss the Carmelita for me!

Anonymous said...

We manage to get by at home without a/c, so you are lucky to have it at home. At work, we have one feeble one about 20 metres away, which gets turned off when the lady underneath it gets cold (WTF!!)[possibly it is directed onto her]. Oh, and no opening windows. So in summer, we get WARM!!

Your international home for stray builders and contractors sounds un-delightful!! Under different circumstances I am sure you'd love their company! However....

Thinking of you, this seems to be going on too long.

hugs

Bebe said...

Yeah, we are just rolling along; crisis one day, retribution the next. I appreciate the empathy, poor, poor, pitiful me.