Thursday, July 13, 2006

Back a my neck getting dirt and gritty

Isn't global warming bad enough? Has everyone gone crazy? Dubya rolls back Clinton's environmental initiatives. He's like president in the Bizarro world. Murder of the upper classes in India. No one knows if it's crime or terror. Geez. Hamas and Hezbollah running amok in the Middle East, supported by Iran and Syria. Crisis in Gaza, Palestinians used as pawns.Tornadoes in suburban NYC. What the fuck? It really pisses me off that I was forced to read the news. I was doing so well without it, obsessing solely on "contractual" and doggie matters, I have no need to be disgusted additionally. I had the temerity to leave the house yesterday for lunch and a pedicure with Sheila. (I'm lovin' the pedicure, it makes my feet so happy and sexy!) Not one worker showed up yesterday but we discovered that Caramel can jump at least 5', which is the height of the plywood blocking the door to the kitchen, where she left 2 deposits. I strongly recommend Nature's Miracle for such occasions, they tell me it removes odors. Today, both the temp and the humidity are in the 90's; not conducive to paint-drying, or breathing either. Joe, the carpenter ( from Italy) is installing the counter tops today, they're beautiful but I long for plumbing, which is dependent on the handsome Nigel the tiler who showed up too early yesterday, when I was out and didn't come back. I'm tired of washing fruit in the bathroom sink. It's really interesting that all our workers were born outside of the US, except for the plumbers. It's a typical NY thing but it illustrates the importance of the immigrant worker, most of whom are legal, pay lots of taxes and work their asses off. Just like my own father did. This is the land of oppurtunity, no?
So happily, tonight is "So you think you can dance?" Nothing makes me feel better watching others slaving away at an improbable task, especially in glitzy, outrageous outfits. Dance is not just talent, it's hard, sweaty, painful work.This show is so much fun, I can almost forget that I live in Dustopolis with dustitude, dustitis and dustarrhea and that my home is decorated with large cardboard boxes full of sinks and faucets, that there is a stove in my front parlor and I probably forgot how to cook anyway (I lost that recipe for boiling water!) and that I am rarely alone and rarely without men in my house, un-neat men at that. Jerry says that electricians and plumbers are sloppy pigs.True dat, but he and his guys are the one's responsible for all the DUST, aren't they? Poor Jerry has to put his truck in the shop for 2 weeks and this is his busiest season but his son is out of the hospital today. He said he's going to give up running his own business, it's too stressful. After my job is done, Jerry. Otherwise, I will have to murder him, as I threaten to do on a daily basis. Oops, I must fetch them some cherries.
You charm more workers with cherries than vinegar!

3 comments:

Granny said...

I hope the finished product will be worth it.

You must be pulling your hair out about now.

Bebe said...

Funny you should mention that cause when I'm stressed my chief form of self-abuse is cutting my hair too short. If it sticks out, it gets cut off!

Anonymous said...

Poor little Carmelita. All she wants is her yard back. Bet she's gonna be happy when the workmen are gone! I am still waiting for the return of Quezzing-Wu-Ratflinger.....which by the way....there is a orphan rat at the vet's named Templeton and I swear he is the width of three of his kind. His huge belly drags the ground as he grabs yet another treat and slides back to his shelter! Love--the Goddess Muffin