Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Jerry, Roberto, Martin and Robert

They my boys, my crew! My construction crew, that is. Jerry, the boss is a little obsessive (to our grateful benefit I might add) and quite the character. Mike, the plumber comes on Wed and I'm a little nervous; he disapproves of our plan for a 1/2 bath, thinks we won't fit in it. He scares me. Another scary scenario:last week at the dentist ( I seem to go every week) as I was about to get the needle, he asked me, as most dentists do, to open wide. I was stoned on gas and kibbutzing with the assistant so I widened my eyes instead. This cracked us both up till Dr D said, perfectly deadpan: there is no comedy in dentistry. Ah, good times.
So today is a perfectly gorgeous Spring day! Caramelita and I had a carefully planned (we thought) playdate this AM at the dog run where she promptly attacked the other dog. I was so freaked out I couldn't react correctly; when I finally got it together to shout "stop" she did. Immediately, to my surprise and relief.
The other dog, poor, sweet Phoebe wasn't hurt, Caramel had bit her fur with only her front teeth, the ones she uses to delicately pick stuff up with. I on the other hand totally lost it, shaking and crying, which is unusual cause I'm pretty good in a crisis. It's in the aftermath of a crisis that I collapse.There have been many mini-crisises (crises?) lately and I guess I've reached my capacity for disaster management. Or, now that my hand is healing more, I have post traumatic shock from when I got bit. Or, maybe I'm stressed by demolition and decisions, too many decisions. And now that the kitchen is demolished, they are doing the basement and the news is very ungood. Suffice to say: water damage,mold and mildew, crumbling cement, rotted wood. More decisions. And we haven't even picked out a floor or doors or fixtures yet. I'm up here on the puter cause every time I take a peek, Jerry shows me something else bad. Poor old house! If I were 96, I'd need a lot of work too. (Oh, that reminds me to call my Aunt S who will actually be 96 next month) Also, I'm afraid to see what they have done to the garden, where all the debris was put. What kind of sentence was that? Grammar out the window, rawhides in the bed, eating on paper plates, dust and mold ( the Terrible Two) everywhere. I'm going to Hell in a handbasket! Why do terrific and terrible have the same root? Why the hell is that?
One very late night this week, as I couldn't sleep, I heard a man's voice from the street calling. Charlie, where are you, over and over for about 40 minutes. It was so distressing. I sure hope it was not a kid he was calling for.
Carrie and I have been going up and down the whole creation and I've walked places in this neighborhood I didn't know existed, including a mini-High school. We walked past the riding stable and she was freaked by a pony on the sidewalk. My what a large dog! Our adventuresare good for her and it's great for me too; we both need a lot of exercise or we chew things.
Weird, my Aunt just called me. Very witchy, the womens in my family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! so much stress!! I think I'd run away, where is warm and sunny right now? Sympathies and hugs

Anonymous said...

My poor honey!!!!! Anyone would be going crazy! No kitchen, dog bite, dog fight and dentist all in the same week. I would definately be a raving maniac by now! Love you! See you soon!