Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Crispness and Happy Chaka Kahn

Christmasiana from Leftie:
 
Reindeer is actually redundant.  The root rein is Scandinavian for 'reindeer', so reindeer translates to 'reindeer deer'. 
The abbreviation X-mas , thought to be sacrilegious by some, is entirely appropriate.   The letter X (chi) is the first letter in the Greek word for Christ.
Mistletoe is thought to be based on a German word for bird excrement (from the fact that the plant is propagated in it).  It is combined with an Old English word (toe) for twig.
Poinsettia , native to Central America, it's been a symbol of Christmas in the U.S. since the 1820's when it was first shipped here by Joel Poinsett, the American minister to Mexico.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why, I remember back in 1819 when all we had was the Christodendrum.

Anonymous said...

Today I gave my German stepfather an Italian panettone cake from a French market sold to me by a Guatemalen clerk.
(Here's to the diversity in LA and NY. Remind me not to move to Iowa)
HAPPY HANNUKAH!!!
Amiga who loves you. City of angles

Anonymous said...

I can't say it enough; yes, you are really great.
But I ask again; for real, are you my cousin!

Anonymous said...

I finally figured out how to post a comment.
Yea for me!
Keep up your great BLOG; perhaps, I'll send more comments if I remember.
By for now

Katy said...

Hello Sarah's Aunt B! I couldn't find your email anywhere but anyway, wanted to write you to thank you for your wonderful noodle kugel recipe which I made this past weekend and which was met with much delight. It was the first time i ever made it and considering..not bad. you're the best!

p.s. i'm caitlin, you know one of sarah's bridesmaids.

Bebe said...

Hey Caitlin! How could I forget you, you are a neighbor!
The bad thing about giving away the recipe is that everyone else makes it better than me, the good thing is , it's good!