Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Happy Chrismukkwaanza

is how my SIL Tina's 3 fab boys, our nephews, greeted us Saturday when we went out for a visit under the Hanukkah bush. SIL J and her beau L were there too. and a good time was had by all. Tina made her usual yummy feast including latkes, natch and noodle kugel. We played board games and then " who's line is it anyway" and some people joined in only after kicking and screaming but we wound up on the floor in stitches anyway. Adults are too lazy to have fun.
Kids rule, grown-ups drool.

We went to Cousin Joel's for Xmas and he asked that we bring a kugel which we ate along with the lasagna he made. (Jews are not from the low carbs.) There was a family there with kids there too, 2 boys, also delicious who live in Joel's development. When the youngest boy was adopted last year he gained a Mom, Dad and brother all at once. The first time they took him out to the pool the first person he saw was Joel, a somewhat large person with white hair. Seeing Joel the boy asked, is that my Grandfather? Joel said he was and adopted the whole family. How cool is that?

The best part of the holidays is communicating with everyone all at the same time which is almost like being together but not.
I spoke to Roza, my dear friend and another former ballet teacher who grew up and danced in the USSR. She calls me on every Jewish holiday just cause she can. Religon was outlawed by their government, but Russians have a secular Santa-figure, Grandfather Snowman and his granddaughter/elf in their folklore which pre-dates christianity. They put up green boughs or a decorated tree to celebrate the New Year and they eat lots of sweets.
It's really quite unbelievable how addictive sugar is and how fast one succumbs to it.
After our lost chocolate weekend, we reached the nadir last night; dinner was apples, tea, cookies, cakes and ice cream. I will have to walk the straight and narrow, but not till 2006. There is a lot of chocolate to finish, then I will have to go cold turkey. I actually prefer cold turkey esp with cole slaw.

In response to a reader's query, I need here to make a
declaration;
A New Yorker does not a Yankee fan make,
dear Catherine. We do have more than one team you know.
I was raised in a Brooklyn Dodger household and therefore my allegiance is with the National League and the NY Mets. My affection and attention for the Sox are only a by product of my and inherited and inherent rancorous dislike of the Yankees.
During the Series last year, I was in the hospital having surgery for a broken wrist. I was miserable and on morphine and the one thing that kept the fear away and tethered me to reality was anticipating the Sox winning.
Sad to say, now that they won and Damon is gone the curse will probably be restored and they will wait another 86 years. But we will speak of these things again come April.

Here, for my own amusement as well as a present to my readers are the words to a seasonal-appropriate Tom Waits song that I cannot get out of my head:

Chocolate Jesus

Don't go to church on Sunday
Don't get on my knees to pray
Don't memorize the books of the Bible
I got my own special way
Bit I know Jesus loves me
Maybe just a little bit more

I fall on my knees every Sunday
At Zerelda Lee's candy store

Well it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
Make me feel good inside
Got to be a chocolate Jesus
Keep me satisfied

Well I don't want no Anna Zabba
Don't want no Almond Joy
There ain't nothing better
Suitable for this boy
Well it's the only thing
That can pick me up
Better than a cup of gold
See only a chocolate Jesus
Can satisfy my soul

(Solo)
When the weather gets rough
And it's whiskey in the shade
It's best to wrap your savior
Up in cellophane
He flows like the big muddy
But that's ok
Pour him over ice cream
For a nice parfait

Well it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
Good enough for me
Got to be a chocolate Jesus
Good enough for me

Well it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
Make me feel good inside
Got to be a chocolate Jesus
Keep me satisfied


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you have forever cemented your position as the coolest mom-age lady in the world. Tom Waits? And, more specifically, "Chocolate Jesus"??? Where has Sarah been hiding you? I want to dip you in ranch dressing, you're so fabulous!

Well, the Mets. You know, I loved them as a kid. They won the Series with Strawberry, Doc Gooden, Keith Hernandez, Gary Carter, when I was just a kid. I remember it went to 7 games and I had to go to bed early for the last game because I was so nervous I thought I was going to throw up. I made my mom post the outcome on my bedroom door and woke up early like Santa was there so I could see the results. Good times...

Anonymous said...

Omigod. You sent me down a Tom Waits internet rabbit-hole, so to speak. Did you know that he was born in Pomona in Dec. 1949?
In '94 he sued Frito-Lay for using one of his recordings, apparently thinking he wouldn't mind or notice? A direct quote from Tom:
"If Michael Jackson wants to work for Pepsi, why doesn't he just get himself a suit and an office in their headquarters and be done with it?"
My quote: "Tom Waits for no one"
A kwanzetic reader, City of angles

Anonymous said...

Okay......I did it again....I had written [eloquentally......of course]a very large commentary on all your great writing and such. So who knew that if I tried to scroll to another place in your article it would erase it all?
I felt like I was transported back to wonderful multicultural Brookln for a little while when reading about the Xmas light veiwing. When did you start calling that wonderful man of yours "Stinky"?
I loved the photo of the cat but am always shocked how all my friends have grey hair now!
Catching up on reading your blog has been a beautiful diversion to the rapid rising of the Russian River. Our backyard has 12 inches of standing water so far!
I am getting visins of you being a famous writer someday. I love you!!!