Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Laissez Bon Ton Roulez! (I hope)

It's Fat Tuesday. And Giants Championship Parade Tuesday, hooray!
Seriously, how cool is it that the underdog won? They beat the flawless Pats, flawlessly. A very exciting day.

It's Super Tuesday, the giant primary day which will certainly decide the Dem and GOP candidates. T
he mood at my polling place was electric. I'm proud to reveal that my voting district historically has the highest turnout in Brooklyn.
I know this sounds cheesy but standing in the voting booth gave me chills. I had a tremendous sense of history. I am elated that my choices were a woman and a black man. Damn! I can't say I was not conflicted about my decision. Again cheesy, but I consider my one vote to be important so I weigh the issues carefully. But, I've been thinking about the election of 1968, my first presidential election. Terrible thing were happening in the country: denial of civil rights, suspension of law, government secrets and cover-ups, a recession looming, involvement in a pointless and escalating war and the country polarized by left and right. Sounds familiar, no? I was 19 and it was frightening. And it only got worse but y'all know how that ended.
We have certainly come a long way in 40 years. Have we? It seems to me that somehow we haven't and worse, we have regressed. We need a new change and we need go forward. I think the best person to do that is Barak so that's who I voted for. Bien entendu, let the good times roll.
After voting I went to the shelter and walked a rescue dog, a poodle. Poor bony, skinny thing was all matted so they had to shave him. They only did his body so he looked like a doggie head on a stick!

2 comments:

Joel said...

I beg to differ with you. How could 1968 be your first Presidential Election. You say you were 19 and in 1968 the voting age was 21 so my dear you were not able to vote. My first Presidential Election was 1972 I was 20 years old and they passed the 26th ammendment giving 18 year olds the right to vote in 1971.

Bebe said...

Oi, it's good to know someone with a memory! Thank you Joel! I would hate for my memoirs to be inaccurate!
I of course, did not vote, but I did work for H.H.Humprey's campaign.
It was so very long ago!