Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Goodbye, my good friend Susann

My former neighbor and friend, her birthday and mine were nine days apart. Opposites in some ways, we had many things in common. Her husband called today today to say she had gotten very ill and passed away. The funeral is Sat. I saw her for the last time 3 months ago when we got Carmelita; she was one on the first to visit, bearing doggie gifts. A ovarian cancer survivor, she said she had been ill but didn't go into details and said she was out of danger. Craig said she died of lung cancer and the end came very fast-
She was one of the nicest, sweetest, big-hearted women I knew, a modern southern belle with concern for all, with all her priorities in the right place.
She was also a wonderful artist. She did large, fanciful paintings in a color-wash style, full of wonderful, interesting images; telling an entire story on a canvas.
We met over 20 years ago, when I moved into Steve's place in the Slope.Susann worked at home a lot and we would meet in the hallway or on the street and chat, only the "chats" went on for hours. Over the years we developed more formal meetings, not often, but consistently ( always for our birthdays) and we always re-affirmed our friendship when we did.
I'm so sad that I didn't get in touch with her in these last months when I thought of her often but did not call, I'm so sorry that she never told me. I don't know what I could have done, but at least I could have offered moral support, I could have said goodbye. But that was Susann, she would not have wanted to bother anyone, especially with her own illness or sadness, even though she herself was the first one to offer her own help and support to all.
I cannot get my mind around the fact that she is gone and why. And Craig and her beloved kitties, George and Gracie, all alone. She was too young, too vital, too talented to die. I mourn the loss of a wonderful, beautiful women and a good friend who Steve and I both loved.



3 comments:

Granny said...

I'm so sorry. God I hate cancer.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Susan. We were just talking about her when I was with you!
Just a question...It seems your blog has moved way over to the left on my computer. Is that something you did on purpose?
I am still waiting for the other three rolls of film from NY to come back. The other two came back over ten days ago and all were sent out together. I sure hope they are still coming. I will send you doubles this week whether or not the rest come. Wait til you see the cute ones of Carmelita!
I love you forever. So sorry again about your friend!

Anonymous said...

I am touched about the way you speak of your friend. If only we could all have someone say something so wonderful and heartfelt after our passing. Thinking of you. Hugs

Coral
xxx