Friday, January 06, 2006

Blog post too long! Limits sought!

I was trying to make up for lost time but ranted to excess!
Also, the pain demon is here and I am feeling mean and kvetchy.
Additionally, I am reading too much news and I am steamed!

So today's post will be the soul of brevity but no less unbelievable:

Pat Robertson, a cornerstone of the Religious Right, announced on his TV show the 700 Club, that ["his good friend"] Ariel Sharon's serious condition was divine punishment for "dividing God's land", a reference to the disengagement in Gaza.
I don't know much about the bible but shouldn't peace be the most vital and godly thing? And doesn't he consider Muslim Gazans to be God's people? This guy is still on TV?

Many Arab leaders across the Middle East have also invoked divine retribution; Sharon's stroke is "God's revenge on Sharon the Butcher and God's gift for the New Year" See; NYTimes 1/6/06 p.A14.
Others acknowledge that he had adapted his ideology and the peace process will stall without him.
Sharon will ultimately be celebrated ( and emulated, halevai) as recognizing that a Palestinian state is necessary and peace is even more necessary.
Halevai: I wish, in Hebrew.

In Florida, Jeb Bush's school voucher plan was struck down, hallelujuh, and may have implications nationally.
Should we really pay more taxes to subsidize parochial schools and insure that public schools stink? Let's have more teachers, smaller classes.

The 2nd Ave. Deli in NYC ( since 1953!) has been closed because the rent was raised from $24,000 to $33,000 a month. Damn.
They served something called an "Instant Heart Attack", a pile of pastrami, tongue, etc. sandwiched between potato pancakes, for $19.95. Oy, I got heartburn just writing about it.
BTW: oi and oy are the same word, they are just spelled differently per continent.

Lastly, on Wed, the Earth reached perihelion, it's closest approach to the Sun for us in the Northern Hemisphere. It's proximity was 91.4 million miles.
In 11,000 years, Earth's orbital parameters will change and perihelion will occur in the summer, instead.
I thought you'd want to know.

4 comments:

JBlue said...

"...more teachers, smaller classes...." My mantra.

Anonymous said...

Pat Robertson once again attributing something horrible to God's punishing wrath! He represents malignant narcissism at its most powerful.

Sad. Sad to hear that Lou Rawls died this morning. His singing was so sexy and soulful, deep and different.
Late-to-work reader, City of angles

Bebe said...

I hadn't heard about Lou Rawls.
His voice was so distinctive.He was certainly a fave of mine. I'm gonna shut the 'puter and turn on the radio to the jazz staion.

Unknown said...

Bebe, I too am astounded by Pat Robertson's thoughtless comments. I feel sorry for anyone whose understanding of the divine would think that it includes using health problems as retribution for earthly doings. I can't tell you how terrible I think this is. I get so sick of people presuming that they know what god or the divine thinks. God is probably sitting somewhere going "Where do they get this stuff?"

I have just been commenting about this same thing on our blog. I don't think Sharon was a perfect man--who is? However, I think his drive toward moderation and acceptance was a big step. That's what it's all about anyway. Until we all learn to accept and tolerate one another we'll never achieve peace.

I just got home from work & hadn't heard about Lou Rawls. It has been a sad week with Sharon's storke, the Sago mine deaths and now the loss of Lou Rawls.

Sorry to hear about your deli.

BTW, what is kvetching? I have heard that word before but don't have a good understanding of what it is.