Thursday, December 08, 2005

Oi, angels and mallomars

Children, it is cold! I am fleece-covered and cat- adjacent. Here is info I keep forgetting to post: Oivavoi is a hebrew expression, meaning: alas, alack, woe is me, oh shit. It is the counterpart of the Yiddish, oy gevalt. It is not to be confused with the British oi, which means, "hey you". I googled Oivavoi and I got the website of a Liverpool rock band. Who knew?
I never heard it till I read it in a book about Israel, but it stuck in my head.
I often get things stuck in my head.(which probably accounts for these headaches)
Here's another:
I had to look up that angel business. "Cherubim" were regarded by the ancient Jews as the least of the seven hierarchies of angels attending to the Almighty and were envisioned as four-winged, four-faced beautiful young men. Later, Christians changed the image to fat babies.
Many years ago cousin B got me an angel ceramic. They have mysteriously multiplied. Gift-givers who were getting sick of buying us fish presents picked up on it and we now have a dining room full of cherubim, seraphim and a fab putti. (And I remember who gave me which!) Oddly enough, meals in there seem heavenly. (Stinky cooks)
Today's NY Times has a wonderful in-depth article on Mallomars, that elusive jewel of cookies. Magnifcent in it's simplicity it is a rounded marshmallow sitting on a vanilla wafer covered with gorgeous dark chocolate. It is available only from October to March which only adds to the mystique. The writer compares this to Nouveau Beaujolais season; "les Mallomars sont arrivees." Apparently, 70% are sold in the NY area. Who, we wonders, is eating the other 30%? Are you, dear reader? And whereso?
Kisses and belated Birthday greetings to Vatru on his 30th! Mwah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A woman needs a man like a fish needs an angel.

A woman needs a man like an angel needs a mallomar.

A woman needs a mallomar.

An interested cookie savage
in the city of angles